Sunday, October 05, 2008

I Am A Christian

I saw the following poem attributed to Maya Angelou posted on someone's desk at church the other day. As it turnes out, the poem is not actually written by Maya Angelou but by Carol Wimmer (see Snopes for more info) but the sentiment it communicates is bang on. Being a Christian does not mean I am strong or better than other people but that I am weak and need God to see me through.


When I say, "I am a Christian," I'm not shouting, "I've been saved!"
I'm whispering, "I get lost! That's why I chose this way"

When I say, "I am a Christian," I don't speak with human pride
I'm confessing that I stumble-needing God to be my guide

When I say, "I am a Christian," I'm not trying to be strong
I'm professing that I'm weak and pray for strength to carry on

When I say, "I am a Christian," I'm not bragging of success
I'm admitting that I've failed and cannot ever pay the debt

When I say, "I am a Christian," I don't think I know it all
I submit to my confusion asking humbly to be taught

When I say, "I am a Christian," I'm not claiming to be perfect
My flaws are far too visible but God believes I'm worth it

When I say, "I am a Christian," I still feel the sting of pain
I have my share of heartache which is why I seek His name

When I say, "I am a Christian," I do not wish to judge
I have no authority--I only know I'm loved

Copyright 1988 Carol Wimmer

1 comment:

Gary Wood said...

Beautiful poem. Thanks for sharing it.