Monday, April 27, 2009

Think Before You Buy

I've had NO time lately to even think about posting anything here. Anything beyond a few tweets once and again has just not been possible. That being said, watching this video tonight about the employment conditions of workers in Malaysia for a company contracted by Nike makes me sick.

Any ideas on how we can make this stop? Personally, I think we can complain and protest all we want, but until we start hitting these companies where it hurts the most (their profit margin), I don't really don't think they could care less. To take it one step further, maybe we need to take on not only Nike, but those who accept multi-million dollar sponsorship deals from them. Tiger Woods seems like a decent guy, but if he's being paid $20 million for wearing Nike clothing while the person who made that clothing is making $6 per day and is living in squalor, is he not at least partially responsible for the injustice?

I need to think about this some more, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on how we can educate all of those who endorse Nike so blindly. Is there something more powerful than money? A little bit of bad publicity maybe?

No comments: