Sunday, August 07, 2005

Book Review: Rick Warren and the Purpose That Drives Him


Rick Warren and the Purpose that Drives Him is a short book by Richard Abanes, a former staff member at Saddleback Church so this is perhaps a less than totally objective look at Rick Warren and the Purpose Driven Life (PDL), but it does provide a very concise reponse to Warren's many critics. Perhaps what makes this book worth the price of admission is the interview with Rick Warren - an exclusive interview you won't find anywhere else. It's great to hear some of Warren's stories about the early days of Saddleback and his desire to reach the people of Orange County when he really didn't have a clue how to do it!

I was totally unaware of all of the people who have taken shots at Warren since PDL was published, and I'm certain nobody would be taking shots if it hadn't become the best selling non-fiction book of all time! Most of Warren's critics (John McArthur included) strike me as folks who would find everyone in error except for themselves. Is PDL a perfect work of doctrinal precision? Of course not, but how many books are? Besides, Warren is not targeting Biblical scholars, but ordinary folks who need to know that God loves them. I'm so &$#*@ sick of Christians taking pot shots at each other, especially at a guy who is just trying to share the Good News the best way he knows how and is obviously having a huge impact in the world. Am I doctinally perfect? Are you? In Phillipians it says to "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling" so unless your name is Jesus, just shut up.

A decent, quick read. YYY

2 comments:

JynuineMothering said...

Our pastor actually made some very valid points on this book recently, and however wonderful they were at the time, I cant for the life of me remember EXACTLY what he said. ONe of the things that really bother me about my brain.

I havent read the book either, but I know one of my reading turn off's is a lot of the millions of Christian books that come out leaning to more self empowerment meaning to please the masses. Not saying this is the case with the book, Im just mentioning overall- it's what peeves me.

For example, my mother in law gave me this book- Christian based- that is all about empowering women through God and the dreams we all have and fantasize about as little girls, how they can be real, this that and the other- things that are neglected in women.

Honestly, I feel God made man and women to compliment each other. Empowering women through God is wonderful, but leaving out the man makes it only seem half written to me, less I forget our purpose here on earth and to look to ultimately God for answer instead of books. :-)

I have to be very careful that I dont get caught up in the fleshly manipulation of God's meaning. Still so, I love the good books and they do a lot in our lives.

Blah blah blah, I dont even know what to file this comment under... is it a random blab, or somewhat vent- a personal observation or just an opinion? Who knows anymore... heh heh heh. :-)
-Jyn

Brad Saunders said...

Thanks for the comment Chris. I'm glad to hear there are some like-minded people out there! I'm reading a recent MacArthur book right now and will post a review shortly. I feel like I need to give him a fair shake before criticizing too much.