Friday, March 13, 2009

God Grew Tired Of Us



I watched a portion of God Grew Tired Of Us over my lunch hour today. It's the story of the Lost Boys of Sudan who fled the country with nothing more than the clothes on their backs because of the civil war that began in the late 80's and continues to this day. Over 27,000 boys fled Sudan and eventually found themselves in a U.N. refugee camp in Kakuma, Kenya. The film follow three boys in particular who were selected to move to America to start a new life: Pather Bior, Daniel Abol Pach, and John Bul Dau. I won't go into all of the details because I highly recommend you see this documentary for yourself. A movie review does not do justice to the emotional impact this film will have.

That being said, there was one scene in particular I found particularly moving. When the three boys have landed in the U.S. and are being introduced to the most basic of items that we take for granted, it is humourous and heartbreaking at the same time. As they are being shown how to use a shower, how to turn on a light, how to use the refrigerator, etc. I couldn't help but reflect on their sheer, unfettered innocence as they drank it all in like little children.

When they visit a grocery store for the first time, they are amazed by the quantity and variety of food that is available. There were no complaints about brown spots on the apples or a long line at the checkout. These guys had lived for years with next to no food or clothing, having only each other to cling to as most of their parents had been murdered. Their utter guilelessness in a society which has made the rest of bitter, angry, and cynical was overwhelming and I found myself choking back tears.

I'm not sure if I was crying for them or for us.

While I am saddened by the story of the Lost Boys and billions of others like them who live in extreme poverty, today I am crying becuase I am ashamed. I am ashamed for taking all of my blessings for granted. I am ashamed for wanting to store things up for myself when there are so many in need. And I am ashamed of our leaders who would rather spend money on bombs than bread.

Jesus said: "When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required." Luke 12:48

Lord forgive me. Forgive us.

No comments: