Sunday, March 01, 2009

Shake Hands With The Devil

While I haven't yet read the book, today I watched the documentary Shake Hands With The Devil: The Journey Of Romeo Dalliaire.

I don't know that I cam adequately comment on General Dallaire's story or the remarkable failure of developed countries and the United Nations to intercede in the Rwandan genocide of 1994. Over 800,000 Rwandan's were murdered in 10 days while the world did nothing. I can only leave you with these quotes from the film:

"Are all humans, human? Are some more human than others?" - Romeo Dallaire

"Africa was Africa. It was black. So all of the unlovely racist impulses could also come into play. Africa had nothing to sell, nothing to buy. You just wrote off the continent and Rwanda in 1994 was the apotheosis of that feeling." - Stephen Lewis

Kigali Genocide Memorial Centre

No comments: