Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Gay Marriage In Canada

What I'm about to say will upset a lot of people. In fact, I hesitate to post anything at all, but frankly, I'm sick of hearing Christians carry on about the gay marriage issue as if it were the only important issue in the election.

Let me state right off the top that I am in favour of the traditional definition of marriage - the union of one man and one woman to the exclusion of all others. I believe if homosexuals want to form civil unions, they should be allowed to do so, but do not call it marriage. That being said, we are turning the gay marriage issue into our magnum opus, the defining issue by which we choose to support a candidate. At my parents church, they are even encouraging their congregation to vote for the Conservatives because they are going to change the gay marriage law. Poppycock! I think there are going to be an awful lot of disappointed people when it becomes a backburner issue after the election takes place.

What do we as Christians want to be know for? How much we loath homosexuals or how much we love our enemies and care for the poor and the oppressed? I don't hear many churches up in arms about Canada's shoddy record on foreign aid. Or when was the last time you heard of Christians lobbying their MP to do something about homelessness on our own streets? It seems we choose our issues very carefully, and especially prefer those that don't cause us to question our own motives. I heard theologian Brian McLaren say once that it's time to just shut up and start loving people. I agree.

"You have heard the law that says 'Love your neighbour' and hate your enemy. But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you!" - Jesus (Matthew 5:43-44, NLT).

"There is still one thing you lack...Sell all you have and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." - Jesus (Luke 18:22, NLT)

"Healthy people don't need a doctor--sick people do. I have come to call sinners, not those who think they are already good enough." - Jesus (Mark 2:17, NLT)

1 comment:

Tuneman said...

Right on!